Food Security Assessment Situation and Outlook No. (GFA-15) 92 pp
Food Security Assessment, GFA-15
Just over 900 million people in the 70 low-income countries studied in this report are estimated to have consumed less than the recommended nutritional requirements in 2003. This marks a decline from more than 1 billion in 2002. Although food security is expected to improve in all regions over the coming decade, this improvement will vary. Food security is projected to improve most significantly in Asia, followed by Latin America and the Caribbean. Although some improvement is also expected in Sub-Saharan Africa, the deep poverty at the root of hunger problems in the lower income population will remain unchanged. Food aid has been and continues to be an important tool used by the international community to fight hunger in low-income countries, and the United States is the dominant food donor country. However, the effectiveness of food aid could be improved by increased coordination between donor groups, more transparent eligibility criteria, and fewer fluctuations in year-to-year aid levels.
Keywords: Food security, hunger, nutritional requirement, food gaps, Brazil, Russia, zero-hunger programs, income distribution, poverty, purchasing power, access, policy reform, consumers, Iraq, Africa, Latin America & Caribbean, Asia, CIS, agricultural economics
In this publication...
- Food Security Assessment, GFA-15
- Report summary
- Abstract, Preface, Acknowledgments
- Global Food Security: Prospects and the Role of Food Aid
- North Africa
- Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA)
- Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC)
- Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS)
- Brazil?s Food Security and Food Assistance Programs to Reduce Poverty
- Food Security in Russia: Economic Growth and Rising Incomes are Reducing Insecurity
- Statistical tables
- Appendices (Note: Appendix tables 2a and 2b were updated on 6/30/04)
- List of Tables and Figures
International Food Security Assessment, 2022–32
Select a decade or year to expand/collapse. Click on the link to view the report.
- International Food Security Assessment, 2011-21
- International Food Security Assessment, 2010 Update: Improved Production Mitigated Impact of Higher Food Commodity Prices