The U.S. Bioenergy Statistics data product includes tables on U.S. biofuel production, trade, supply and use, stocks, and industry capacity utilization. The data file also includes tables with annual, quarterly, and monthly data. Quarterly and annual data are presented on a calendar- or marketing-year basis (or both), depending on the commodity. For instance, ethanol data are usually compiled on an annual basis, but we also present the data here on a corn-marketing year basis, since corn serves as the feedstock for almost all ethanol produced in the United States.
These tables assume standard conversion factors regarding ethanol and coproduct production, listed below.
- 1 barrel = 42 gallons
- 1 gallon of ethanol contains the same energy as 0.67 gallons of gasoline
- Corn, 1 bushel = 56 pounds
- Sorghum, 1 bushel = 56 pounds
- 1 metric ton = 2,204.622 pounds
- 1 U.S. (short) ton = 2,000 pounds
The data for this data product come from a wide range of sources. The most important sources are:
- U.S. Department of Agriculture - Economic Research Service, ERS Feed Grains Database
- U.S. Department of Agriculture - Economic Research Service, Oil Crops Yearbook Tables
- U.S. Department of Energy - Energy Information Administration
- U.S. Department of Agriculture - Agricultural Marketing Service
- U.S. Department of Agriculture - National Agricultural Statistics Service
- Nebraska Energy Office - Nebraska's Unleaded Gasoline and Ethanol Average Rack Prices