Consumer demand for food is an important element in the
formulation of various agricultural and food policies. Food choices
by U.S. households influence the types of crops that America's
farmers grow, the prices farmers receive, and the way in which
various crops are transformed into food products.
ERS research on food consumption examines:
- the effects of food consumption choices on agriculture,
- the behavioral and economic determinants of food and nutrient
- interrelationships between spending on food and non-food
- consumer valuation of quality, safety, and nutritional
- the role of information in determining food choices.