Valuing the Health Benefits of Food Safety: A Proceedings
by Fred Kuchler
Miscellaneous Publication No. (MP-1570) 110 pp, April 2001
Because each Federal agency uses a different valuation method to estimate the costs of illness, it is difficult to compare programs across agencies. As a first step toward generating a consensus on the current state of knowledge and deciding on a common approach, several agencies planned this conference, held September 14-15, 2000, at the University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland. The outcome of the conference will serve as guidance for a consensus approach. The conference was sponsored by the following organizations: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; Economic Research Service, USDA; Food and Drug Administration; NE-165 Regional Research Project; Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation, USDHHS; and The Joint Institute for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition.
Keywords: Value of statistical life, cost-of-illness, contingent valuation, hedonic measures, QALY
In this publication...
- Entire Report 1,730 kb
- Abstract 94 kb
- Introduction--Clark Nardinelli 13 kb
- Valuing Statistical Lives--Moderated by Nicole Owens and Nathalie Simon 64 kb
- Using Estimates of the Value of a Statistical Life in Evaluating Regulatory Activity--Donald Kenkel 127 kb
- Comments by Chris Dockens 82 kb
- Rappporteurs’ Notes from breakout session on valuing statistical lives--Linda Chapell, Nicole Owens, Nathalie Simon, David Widawsky 82 kb
- Measuring the Pain, Suffering, and Functional Disability Associated with Foodborne Illness--Josephine Mauskopf, Roberta A. Morales 191 kb
- Comments by Amber Jessup 79 kb
- Rapporteur's’ Notes from breakout session on QALYs--Clark Nardinelli, Christina McLaughlin 91 kb
- Valuing Pathogenic Risks: Results Using Different Valuation Methods--Jason Shogren, Tommy Stamland, Todd L. Cherry, Thomas D. Crocker 266 kb
- Comments by Fred Kuchler 113 kb
- Rapporteur's Notes from breakout session on comparing methods--Jean Buzby 96 kb
- Comparing the Valuations for Different Hazards--Alan J. Krupnick 229 kb
- Rapporteur's Notes from breakout session on comparing chemical and biological hazards--Tammy Riggs 61 kb
Need help with PDFs?