Valuing the Health Benefits of Food Safety: A Proceedings
by Fred Kuchler
Miscellaneous Publication No. (MP-1570) 110 pp, April 2001
Because each Federal agency uses a different valuation method to estimate the costs of illness, it is difficult to compare programs across agencies. As a first step toward generating a consensus on the current state of knowledge and deciding on a common approach, several agencies planned this conference, held September 14-15, 2000, at the University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland. The outcome of the conference will serve as guidance for a consensus approach. The conference was sponsored by the following organizations: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; Economic Research Service, USDA; Food and Drug Administration; NE-165 Regional Research Project; Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation, USDHHS; and The Joint Institute for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition.
Keywords: Value of statistical life, cost-of-illness, contingent valuation, hedonic measures, QALY
In this publication...
- Abstract, 94 kb
- Introduction--Clark Nardinelli, 14 kb
- Valuing Statistical Lives--Moderated by Nicole Owens and Nathalie Simon, 64 kb
- Using Estimates of the Value of a Statistical Life in Evaluating Regulatory Activity--Donald Kenkel, 127 kb
- Comments by Chris Dockens, 83 kb
- Rappporteurs’ Notes from breakout session on valuing statistical lives--Linda Chapell, Nicole Owens, Nathalie Simon, David Widawsky, 82 kb
- Measuring the Pain, Suffering, and Functional Disability Associated with Foodborne Illness--Josephine Mauskopf, Roberta A. Morales, 192 kb
- Comments by Amber Jessup, 80 kb
- Rapporteur's’ Notes from breakout session on QALYs--Clark Nardinelli, Christina McLaughlin, 92 kb
- Valuing Pathogenic Risks: Results Using DIfferent Valuation Methods--Jason Shogren, Tommy Stamland, Todd L. Cherry, Thomas D. Crocker, 267 kb
- Comments by Fred Kuchler, 114 kb
- Rapporteur's Notes from breakout session on comparing methods--Jean Buzby, 96 kb
- Comparing the Valuations for Different Hazards--Alan J. Krupnick, 229 kb
- Rapporteur's Notes from breakout session on comparing chemical and biological hazards--Tammy Riggs, 62 kb
- Entire Report, 1,730 kb
Need help with PDFs?