Food Security Assessment, 2007
by Stacey Rosen
, Shahla Shapouri, Kathryn Quanbeck, and Birgit Meade
Outlook No. (GFA-19) 55 pp, July 2008
The number of food insecure people in the 70 lower income countries covered in this report rose between 2006 and 2007, from 849 million to 982 million. Food insecure people are those consuming less than the nutritional target of 2,100 calories per day. The food security situation of these countries is projected to deteriorate over the next decade. The distribution gap—an indicator of food access—is projected to rise from 44 million tons in 2007 to more than 57 million tons in 2017. This is more than seven times the amount of food aid received by these countries in 2006. Sub-Saharan Africa, already the most vulnerable region with the lowest calorie intake levels, will suffer the greatest deterioration in food security.
Keywords: Food security, food aid, food imports, oil prices, biofuels, ethanol, diet composition, obesity, calorie availability, Sub-Saharan Africa, North Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, Commonwealth of Independent States
In this publication...
- Report summary, 108 kb | HTML
- Abstract, Preface, Acknowledgments, Contents, List of Figures and Tables, and Summary, 827 kb
- Overview: Food Security in Developing Countries, 2007-17, 528 kb
- Global Diet Composition:Factors Behind the Changes and Implications of the New Trends, 159 kb
- Appendix—Food Security Model: Definition and Methodology, 112 kb
- Entire report, 1,496 kb
- North Africa—Country Statistical Tables for North Africa (supporting data), 888 kb
- Sub-Saharan Africa—Country Statistical Tables for Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA), (supporting data), 1,312 kb
- Asia—Country Statistical Tables for Asia (supporting data), 2,204 kb
- Latin America and the Caribbean—Country Statistical Tables for Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) (supporting data), 2,434 kb
- Commonwealth of Independent States—Country Statistical Tables for Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) (supporting data), 1,878 kb
Need help with PDFs?