Community Food Security Assessment Toolkit
by Barbara Cohen, Margaret Andrews, and Linda Scott Kantor
Electronic Publications from the Food Assistance & Nutrition Research Program No. (EFAN-02-013) 166 pp, July 2002
This report provides a toolkit of standardized measurement tools for assessing various aspects of community food security. It includes a general guide to community assessment and focused materials for examining six basic assessment components related to community food security. These include guides for profiling general community characteristics and community food resources as well as materials for assessing household food security, food resource accessibility, food availability and affordability, and community food production resources. Data collection tools include secondary data sources, focus group guides, and a food store survey instrument. The toolkit was developed through a collaborative process that was initiated at the community Food Security Assessment Conference sponsored by ERS in June 1999. It is designed for use by community-based nonprofit organizations and business groups, local government officials, private citizens, and community planners.
Keywords: community food security, community assessment, hunger, food assistance programs, emergency food providers, food store access, food affordability, Thrifty Food Plan, community-supported agriculture
In this publication...
- Abstract, Acknowledgments, Contents, 195 kb
- Introduction, 200 kb
- Overview of the Assessment Process: Steps for Getting Started , 161 kb
- Data Collection and Analysis Guide: Deciding What Data To Collect, 236 kb
- Profile of Community Socioeconomic and Demographic Characteristics, 149 kb
- Profile of Community Food Resources, 134 kb
- Assessment of Household Food Security, 152 kb
- Assessment of Food Resource Accessibility, 177 kb
- Assessment of Food Availability and Affordability, 175 kb
- Assessment of Community Food Production Resources, 149 kb
- Glossary, References, and Bibliography, 178 kb
- Appendix A: Data Tables and Tips for Developing Them, 208 kb
- Appendix B: Focus Group Guides and Materials, 274 kb
- Appendix C: Food Store Survey Instrument and Materials, 205 kb
- Entire report, 817 kb
Need help with PDFs?