On an average day in 2008...
The top 3 places for primary eating and drinking
- Own home or yard:
- Restaurant or
The top 3 places for secondary eating or drinking
- Own home or yard: 50.1 percent
- Driving a
The top 5 activities that accompanied secondary
eating or drinking were:
- Relaxing and
- Food and drink preparation and cleanup:
- Personal care, such as
- Socializing and
*Watching television accounted for about two-thirds of
- Of all travel from place to place, by
any mode of transportation, 14.6 percent of travel occurances were
accompanied by secondary eating and drinking.
- In 15.5 percent of all driving trips,
the driver engaged in secondary eating or drinking. Among all
persons who drove on an average day, 10.4 percent engaged in
secondary eating or drinking during one or more driving trips.
- Of all times watching television, 36
percent were accompanied by secondary eating and drinking.
- More than half (55.8 percent) of grocery shopping
occurrences were alone, whereas 36.3 percent were
with household members, and the rest were accompanied by others
(not household members).
- In less than one-fifth (18.2 percent) of grocery shopping
occurrences, household children were present.
- Fourteen percent of grocery shopping occurrences were
accompanied by secondary eating or drinking.
- Of all grocery shoppers, 6.3 percent shopped two or more times
during the day.
- One percent of grocery shoppers shopped at home, at work, or at
the library, indicating that they likely grocery shopped
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics American Time Use Survey and
ERS Eating and Health Module.