TopicsTopics

Stay Connected

Follow ERS on Twitter
Subscribe to RSS feeds
Subscribe to ERS e-Newsletters.aspx
Listen to ERS podcasts
Read ERS blogs at USDA

The prevalence of food insecurity has changed little since 2008, despite rising poverty rates

In 2012, 85.5 percent of U.S. households were food secure throughout the year. The remaining 14.5 percent of households were food insecure at least some time during the year, including 5.7 percent (7.0 million households) that had very low food security. Food insecurity increased from 10.5 percent in 2000 to nearly 12 percent in 2004, declined to 11 percent in 2005-07, then increased to its current level in 2008.

Embed this chart

Download higher resolution chart (4267 pixels by 3417 pixels, 300 dpi)

Last updated: Tuesday, February 11, 2014

For more information contact: Rosanna Mentzer Morrison

Share or Save this Page