In 2013, 85.7 percent of U.S. households were food secure throughout the year. The remaining 14.3 percent of households—down from 14.9 percent in 2011—were food insecure at least some time during the year, including 5.6 percent (6.8 million households) that had very low food security. Food insecurity increased from 10.5 percent in 2000 to nearly 12 percent in 2004, declined to 11 percent in 2005-07, then increased to 14.6 in 2008.
Embed this chart
Download higher resolution chart (4267 pixels by 3417 pixels, 300 dpi)